Tuesday, May 20, 2014

5 Steps to Get Started with a Healthy Lifestyle!

             I thought I’d start with some basics since this is my first post! 

As I mentioned in "My Story” tab, I used to be a chip-aholic/junk food junkie, in my not too distant past… Using 
sugar as energy, which was causing me to gain weight and lack REAL energy! So here are 5 principles I do not waiver on and neither should you!



1.  Drink Water instead of Soda or Sugary Drinks!
      Our bodies depend on water and every cell, tissue and organ depends upon water to operate efficiently. Adding lemons, limes or other fruits is a great way to add some flavor!

2.  Replace sweets with fruits! When I eat berries instead it helps to satisfy my sweet tooth! Take a smaller step, try to replace sweets all week except 1-2 times with berries.

3.  Eat a handful of unsalted peanuts or raw almonds in place of chips!                                                                                 
This will help to satisfy that crunch! I love having almonds as
my afternoon snack, especially with some strawberries!

4.  Eat 3 nutritious meals a day, although I prefer 5 to 6 small meals!
 I tend to eat healthier when I do this because my blood sugar levels don’t plunge and give me crazy cravings. Eat WHOLE foods! Lean protein, beans and legumes, lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, healthy oils and some whole grains.

5.  ELIMINATE Processed Foods!  “If you can’t pronounce it, don’t eat it!” 
Avoid these foods/preservatives/ingredients at all costs: High Fructose Corn Syrup,Trans Fats,
Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal), saccharin (Sweet’N Low), sucralose (Splenda), acesulfame-K (Sunette, Sweet-n-Safe, Sweet One). Also artificial colors and sugar laden foods!
 
      
      It can be such an overwhelming process to think you have to give up everything you are used to eating or drinking all at once!  I would like to pretend that I eat perfectly healthy, out of my fairy tale garden all of the time but that just isn’t so.  I aim to eat as healthy as possible following the “eat clean” standards, with a balance of normal every day foods that my whole family can enjoy! 

I didn't start eating clean right away, I started with small changes and learned to make every day food choices healthier first! You can do it just get started! Check back in for some of my favorite recipes I will be posting very soon!

 
**If you feel like you can’t apply all five of these suggestions at once, try one a week and keep adding a new tip every week after!  


Eating Healthy & Exercising is a LIFESTYLE, not a temporary thing! 

If you have any questions- Post Below or Connect with me on Facebook!  

~Amanda~

0 comments:

Post a Comment