Monday, September 8, 2014

Do You Eat Pesticides? See the Dirty Dozen List to Find Out!

  I was shaking my head and thinking, "Gahhh I thought I figured it all out, and was making good choices for my family?!" While searching out healthy recipes and learning more about whole food nutrition, I had stumbled across articles, movies and tons of information concerning many of our foods that we know as healthy, and learned they are actually being contaminated with pesticides that harm our health!
Although I couldn’t be totally frustrated, because I was doing something right.  I was making the choice to eat fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins to better my health (lose weight), with hopes to avoid sickness and disease, and that
was a great start.  It is also important to remember a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can outweigh some of the risk of pesticide exposure, but now that I know the risks involved what will I do?  With current testing and research proving that pesticides and chemicals are posing serious hazards to our health and children’s health I believe it is in our best interest to choose organic if possible!

However let's get real, at times, for one reason or another, we just have to pick and choose what we can and cannot get organically- so how do we know what to choose?
I wanted to help you out and break it down, so here is a list of the "Dirty Dozen," the dirtiest fruits and veggies, that you SHOULD buy organically, and a bonus: The Clean Fifteen List!!



DIRTY DOZEN:

Apples - Four years in a row apples are highest in contamination- pick your apple a day wisely!
Strawberries
Potatoes- Tests positive for most pesticides by weight.
Grapes
Celery
Peaches
Spinach & Leafy Greens (Kale & Collard Greens) - Contaminated with high levels of insecticides that are damaging to the nervous system. 
Sweet Bell Peppers
Nectarines
Cucumbers
Cherry Tomatoes - A single grape tomato contained over 15 pesticides- yikes!
Snap Peas


CLEAN FIFTEEN:

Avocados 
Sweet Corn
Pineapples
Cabbage
Frozen Sweet Peas
Onions
Asparagus
Mangoes
Papayas
Kiwis
Eggplant
Grapefruit
Cantaloupe
Cauliflower
Sweet Potatoes

You can find more detailed information on GE (Genetically Engineered) Crops, and more summaries of pesticide dangers here: www.ewg.org 




     



0 comments:

Post a Comment